Color & Branding
For OEM manufacturing and private labeling, a lot of factors are to be taken into consideration. To satisfy you customers and create more demand for your products it is imperative to pay close attention to shape, size, color & capacity of your bottles.
Bottle colors play a very prominent role in appealing different age group consumers. As different colors have a different impact on the choice of consumers; thus the selection of color for the targeted market in the bottle industry directly affects its demand.
Do men and women color preferences change with their age? Apparently, it does. There is always a reason why baby girls are surrounded by pink toys, clothes & other accessories while baby boys with blue. As assumptions have been made that the girls of this age are attracted towards shades of pink while boys find blue colors more appealing.
These assumptions are made on certain scientific facts and reasoning. Science defines, that the choice of color of each gender (specifying to every single individual) changes with time as they grow old.
For example, most of the baby girls are fond of pink colors stuffs in their childhood, but their color preference usually starts changing in their teen age.
User Interface elements are always different for different age groups and are related to the model of reality which the particular age group has developed in life so far. Like, if someone grows in a digital era will have a totally different outlook & perception for the digital products than elderly people that grew up in informational & social age.
The color of any product not only provides us with the objective view of the world but also make us understand how we feel. Color selection of bottles is now done for different age groups meeting their particular demand.
While the marketing of any product it is very important to understand your target audience and then tailor your marketing efforts accordingly. Vacuum bottle industry also has adopted a new marketing strategy focusing on the target audience and manufacturing bottles accordingly. Age is the most important factor considered; especially the color preference for bottle varies on the basis of age groups for which they are being manufactured.
Colors define Mood
Colors affect everyone in a certain manner. The same color can have a different impact on different individual moods. Theory of colors is a very complex subject in itself.
According to NeuroMarketing, “if a good color sells, the right color sells better.” All brands are trying hard to improve their knowledge about colors and increase their leads accordingly.
Developing an understanding of color psychology doesn’t mean deceiving or manipulating customers. Instead, it suggests how to develop an edge over your competition and meet the needs of your target audience.
How colors affect consumer behavior..??
Color is primarily a component of light that separate when reflected off of an object. Sight is connected directly to our reptilian complex but, letters and words are processed as if they were audio files, this leads to a slower processing of information and rationalizing data because the auditory nerve is not connected to the reptilian complex.
According to this theory, definitively, colors play the strongest and the most persuading way to stimulate the sight. Different researches have proved that consumers care more about the color of the product than there other characteristics like smell or texture.
How our brain reacts to different colors:
- Grey – This color denotes serenity, maturity or a level of balance. At the same time, this color can also be interpreted as an absence of commitment or doubt.
- Blue – It is the color visible almost everywhere in the form of sky and sea that provides our brain with the message of serenity, tranquility, and peace. It has a surprising effect on peoples appetite. It suppresses appetite as there is no blue color food product, especially in nature. This color denotes good health, this is visible in hospitals or health products and even restraints advertising for light food use this shade.
- Green – It denotes life, nature, fertility & perseverance however our brain can also think of change resistance with this shade. It is even related to money & richness. Different shades of green color are also used for medication, tourism or for denoting bank or financial organization publicly.
- Red – This color is interpreted as action, passion, sensuality, blood, desire for success, adventure, willpower, and danger. Usually, this color is used for denoting danger zones but is also used for cars, sports, and energy drink brands. Men are the prime target of brand and publicity using this color.
- Yellow – It is the bright color of sunlight that makes one shine and imparts the feeling of happiness. This color provides good energy and denotes intelligence. It is majorly used for kid’s products and not for men or women.
- White – This color is light, innocence, the color of perfection, cleanliness & purity. However, as different cultures also have a different meaning of colors as in Japan white denotes death. The white color is commonly visible in charity events or religious organizations and even used by different technology brands.
- Orange – It is an instigating or stimulating color that provides a sensation of coziness and warm places. It also represents attraction, creativity, and success. This color is a perfect idea for places like gym walls or in any creativity department office.
- Purple – It means nobility, luxury, ambition, wisdom, independence, and dignity. This is kind of a perfect color for women’s product publicity such as perfumes, clothing & shoes. The significance of this color can also be seen in children’s products or sweat treats (majorly in chocolates).
- Black – It denotes elegance & prestige, however, can also be interpreted as tragedy, fear or mourning. This color also denotes some mystery or evilness. Despite negative impacts and demotions of black color in life this color is used for the branding of jewelry stores, watches and even for designer cloth advertising. Due to the elegance of color, it is highly used for cars & motorcycles.
Source: Neuro Marketing
How colors affect your emotions & behaviors..??
Colors do trigger our emotions in daily lives. They can make us feel happy or sad, hungry or relaxed. As a brand, it is very important to understand the psychology of colors on human minds and their emotions. Let’s have a view of how different colors derive different emotion and behaviors in individuals.
|Color||Positive Impact||Negative Impact|
|Blue||Security, integrity, peace, loyalty, trust, Intelligence, tranquility||Coldness, fear, masculinity|
|Turquoise||Spiritual, Healing, protection, sophisticated||Envy, femininity|
|Green||Freshness, environment, new, money, fertility, healing, earth||Envy, jealousy, guilt|
|Yellow||Bright, sunny, energetic, warm, happy, joy, intellect||Irresponsible, unstable|
|Purple||Royalty, nobility, spirituality, luxury, ambition, wealth||Mystery, moodiness|
|Pink||Healthy, happy, feminine, sweet, compassion, playful||Weak, immaturity|
|Red||Love, passion, energy, power, heat, strength, desire||Danger, warning, anger|
|Orange||Courage, confidence, success, friendliness||Ignorance, sluggishness|
|Brown||Friendly, earth, longevity, outdoors||Dogmatic, conservative|
|Tan||Dependence, flexibility, conservative, crisp||Dull, brown|
|Gold||Wealth, prosperity, wisdom, tradition, valuable||Self righteous, egotistic|
|Silver||Glamorous, graceful, sleek, high-tech||Indecisive, non-committal, dull|
|White||Goodness, innocence, purity, freshness, easy, clean||Isolation, emptiness, pristine|
|Grey||Security, reliability, solid, intelligence||Gloomy, sad, conservative|
|Black||Protection, elegance, dramatic, classy, formality||Death, evil, mystery|
Color Influences on Men and Women Differently
On the basis of gender being targeted, different researchers conclude that women choose softer colors while men go for brighter colors more. According to one of the studies done by Hallock, Blue is the only one color that is favored by both the genders – Men (57%) & Women (35%) over other colors. This theory of Hallock can be proved in the basis of following detailed analysis:
Usually both men and women dislike orange and yellow shades. However if they have to make a choice in these colors it is found that women prefer yellow over orange and men prefer orange over yellow. The researches done on color psychology prove that men usually go for achromatic colors like shades of gray or pure colors while women preferred tints
As the taste of men and women vary, so the color selection of products should be done on the basis of understanding of what colors are preferred by your target audience the most.
The men prefer Blue (57%), Black(9% ), Yellow( 1%), White(2%), Red(9%), Orange(5%), Grey(3%), Green(14% ) and Brown (2% )
While women prefer Blue (35%), Black (6%), Yellow (3%), White (1%), Red (9%), Orange (5%), Grey (1%), Green (14%), Brown (3%) & Purple (23%).
Colors Preferred for branding by different age groups
Manufacturers now produce products in a variety of colors according to the choices of different age group. These age groups are divided into the following categories (distinguishing Male & Female) and accordingly their color preferences varying from each other:
Infants (1 year or less)
Infant’s category includes baby girls and boys who are 1 year or less than that. The major color choices of manufacturers for baby boys are usually aqua blue, grey or yellow and for the baby girl include blush pink, coral or candy orange colors.
Kids (2 – 10 years)
Children between the age group of 2 to 10 years come under the category of kids. In this age children start developing their choices and preference. On the basis of maximum choices made by them, these days manufacturers produce the same products in different colors for boys & girls.
For boys, colors of the bottle produced majorly are arctic blue, lime green & amber yellow and for girl’s colors chosen are cupid pink, lavender grey and slight shades of blue.
Teenagers (Less than 19)
Growing kids between 10 to 19 years are counted as teenagers. This is the most difficult age group to predict their choices and preferences, as it is the growing age of children where the demands and choices vary too much and change easily.
Primarily boys in this age prefer products in colors like charcoal black, denim blue or splashing white and girls of this age prefer colors like Jackie black, crimson red or tangerine orange. Thus, manufactures & designers prefer these colors for this age section with different print & quotes suiting them.
Young Adult (20 – 30 years)
The age between 20 to 30 years is counted among young adults section. In this age, we already develop our choices on our gender basis, and it becomes easy for manufacturers to choose the colors for this age section.
In this age usually males prefer colors like Carolina blue, quartz silver or hickory brown and women prefer colors like sand gold, cherry red or eggplant purple.
Adults (30 – 40 years)
Men and women in their 30s to 40s are counted as adults. Now in this age people prefer more soothing and subtle colors.
Usually, men choices shift towards colors like powder blue, earl grey or some dark shades of blue and the women choices of the color shift towards colors like dull magenta, emerald green or different shades of purple.
Middle Aged (40 -45 years)
Men and women between ages of 40 to 45 years are counted as middle ages people with some set directions of their lives. In this age, people become rigid of their taste and choices in life and it is difficult to persuade their decisions.
For this age group manufacturers become very particular about the color selection of products to be produced. For men in this age usually bottle are produced in colors like pebble black, misty grey and Smokey teal and for women choices of color preferred include apricot pink, pine green or Pantone plum.
Senior Citizens (55 years or more)
After the age of 55, we are counted as a senior citizen of the society with set rules and choices of life. People at this age prefer some dull or light shades of colors.
Producers usually choose those colors for men and women in this age that find them appealing and impressive. For senior citizen men, the color of choices primarily includes pale beige, snow blue and mauve and for women of this age color choices include frosty lime, Crete pink or candy white.
Thus, before creating marketing materials, one has to be sure to examine what colors are most preferable to your target audience. Remember, color psychology is not exact and there is no right or wrong colors, just colors that may get a better response from your target market.